If you have a disagreement or dispute with your landlord:
- Talk to your landlord, discuss the situation and possible resolutions, including a time frame.
- Organize the details. Take notes and photos and document emails, phone calls and any correspondence, date, time, location when event occured.
- Be persistent. Follow up with the landlord if the situation has not been taken care of in the time frame agreed upon.
- If there has been no resolution or the landlord has not contacted you, there are a number of local and regional agencies that can assist you.
A Guide to Small Claims Court — A step by step guide.
City of Ithaca Building Department — If you live within the City of Ithaca and have problems with your landlord regarding maintenance, repairs, etc.
Community Dispute Resolution Center — CDRC is a local mediation organization that can help you.
- NYS AG Security Deposit Complaint Form — Use this form if your landlord has not returned your security deposit in a timely manner.
- NYS AG Bureau of Consumer Frauds and Protection Form — Use this form to file a complaint against your landlord.
- NYS Tenant's Rights Guide — It is always important to know your rights as a tenant.
NYS Bar Association — Free and confidential legal counsel (800) 342-3661