Be a Good Tenant - Be a Good Neighbor
Responsibilities of a Good Tenant
- Move-In/Move-Out Checklist - Tenant/Property Manager Signatures
- Take pictures of any damage and staple them to the Move-in/Move-out checklist
- Pay rent on time.
- Keep the property clean and free from damage beyond normal wear and tear. Notify the landlord of problems.
- Provide proper notice before terminating a rental agreement.
- Pay for damages resulting from your own negligence or the negligence of a guest.
- Refrain from taking on additional occupants or subleasing without the landlord’s written permission.
- Allow the landlord to enter the premises to make needed repairs and inspections.
- Ensure that all tenants and guests conduct themselves in a manner that will not disturb other tenants’ peaceful enjoyment of the premises.
- Follow ALL provisions of the lease.
Being a Neighbor and Community Member
- Get to know your property manager by name and face. Pay your rent in person when possible.
- Ithaca’s neighborhoods are diverse and each street has its own character.
- Get to know your neighbors. Introduce yourself to your neighbors living close by and behind you.
- Provide a contact person for your household and a telephone number in the event that neighbors have information to share.
- Invite your neighbors to call you first if they have a concern or complaint about noise or other issues related to your household. Most people prefer to work out minor problems among themselves.
- Check in with neighbors from time to time and ask how things are going.
- Offer to help your neighbors with small acts of kindness like moving furniture, shoveling snow or sharing garden vegetables. And there may be times when you need their help as well (i.e. borrowing a cup of sugar, watching your property while you are away, etc).
- Let neighbors know in advance if you are hosting a social gathering and ask them to contact you first if things get too noisy. If they do call, be respectful and take immediate action to lower the noise level.
- Keep lawn and neighborhood clean and free to trash and garbage.
- Call for help early if a conflict with a neighbor is escalating.