Special Events Policy

Weddings, Dinners, Receptions

To Make A Reservation

The Memorial Room (including the Ivy Terrace) may be reserved one year to the day from the date of your planned event.  You can reserve using Cornell Tickets or you can book in person with the WSH Reservationist in 525 WSH.  Credit cards are accepted with Cornell Tickets and cash and check are accepted in person.

Please contact the WSH reservationist for more information about the process:  (607) 255-3513.  

Non-Cornell groups will be required to place a $600 non-refundable deposit at the time of the reservation (paid by cash or check only) and must pay the balance of the reservation fee by January 15 of the year of the event.  

Note that wedding and other receptions can be accommodated only during the summer months (mid-June through early August) and over Cornell’s Fall Break weekend each year.  The building is used for university events and ceremonies at all other times.

Use of Private Caterers

All private caterers performing services at Cornell must provide the University with a certificate of insurance naming the University as an additional insured. The insurance should cover the activities of the caterer and include coverage in the amount of $1,000,000 for general liability and products liability. If alcohol is served, Cornell Catering has to serve both the alcohol and food for the event.  They can be reached at (607) 255-5555.  Further, all caterers are required to meet the requirements of the New York State Workers Compensation law.

Click here for a list of caters who currently meet the insurance requirements, and who are approved to provide service at Cornell.

Responsibility and Insurance

The University is not responsible for any accident or injury which you or your guests may suffer at your special event. The University requirements for insurance are $1,000,000 of General Liability insurance with the University named as an additional insured. The insurance shall be considered primary for any loss or accident (other than those caused by caterer) which happens at the event.

You can meet this requirement through one of the following methods:

  • Your home owners insurance or business insurance may be able to respond. Contact your insurance broker for advice and information.
  • You can purchase a special events policy from your insurance broker.
  • Cornell University has arranged for organizations and individuals to obtain insurance through Diversified Risk Insurance Brokers in a group insurance program. Please contact Craig McAllister at the Department of Risk Management and Insurance, (607) 254-1575, for pricing and coverage information.