Vision & Mission
The vision of Sorority & Fraternity Life is to cultivate a model of distinction for fraternities and sororities through demonstrated success and innovative practices.
Sorority & Fraternity Life advocates for the fraternities and sororities in pursuit of fraternal ideals and serves as a resource to develop and educate leaders in a diverse, self-governed, living-learning environment.
Alignment of Values
Chapters and members will continuously strive to operate in consistent alignment with University and respective organizational founding values, missions, and objectives.
Chapters encourage academic excellence for all members and promote an environment supportive of intellectual and personal development.
Respect for New Members and Initiates
Chapters will maintain programs of member education that are designed to enhance individual development, encourage participation in University and Community activities, and provide opportunities for leadership.
Commitment to Service
The Sorority and Fraternity Community will develop and lead out-of-classroom learning opportunities through active community service and philanthropy activities.
The Sorority and Fraternity system has contributed to traditions at Cornell University since it's founding. Its place in offering an alternative residential experience and hosting social activities must continue as safe, mature settings. Chapters will not condone the harmful use of alcohol or controlled substances by its members or guests and will not tolerate disrespectful treatment of any person.
Promote Citizenship and Inclusion
Chapters, like the University, value diversity and inclusiveness and are commited to remaining relevant.
The Sorority and Fraternity Community allows Chapters to exercise the privileges of self-governance in a responsible manner at all times.
Each Chapter acknowledges its responsibility to provide leadership development opportunities to all members of the organization.
Healthy Living-Learning Environments
Chapters agree to create, promote, and maintain a healthy, safe, and responsible residential environment when applicable.
Life-Long Relationships and Affinity
Chapter undergraduates and alumni recognize the importance and value of building and sustaining the life-long, personal and organizational benefits found in fraternal membership.
What We Do
Leadership Development and Educational Programming
- Plan and implement training and leadership seminars for student officers, new members, and general membership
- Promote community service within the fraternity and sorority system
- Plan and implement Delta Series for new members
- Oversee judicial process for chapter violations
- Assist chapters in integrating the academic and co-curricular aspects of fraternity and sorority life
- Advise IFC, MGFC, and PA in governing the fraternity and sorority system
- Advise over 60 chapters, which includes 33% of the student population (~4,800+ students)
- Maintain database and report on chapter grade ranking
- Maintain rosters and signed anti-hazing contracts for each new member
- Oversee chapter compliance with liability insurance requirements, certificate of compliance deadlines, and annual occupancy rating
- Maintain housing contracts and keys for each resident living in a University-owned Greek facility
- Co-coordinate recruitment activities for over 1,000 students annually
- Register approximately 20 social events weekly
- Co-coordinate events such as Homecoming, Faculty Reception, Andrew Dickson White Annual Summit for Greeks, Susan H. Murphy ’73 PhD ’94 Fraternity and Sorority Awards Ceremony
- Serve as liaison to chapters’ house corporation boards, alumni advisory boards, and national organizations
- Serve as liaison to Alumni Interfraternity Council, Alumnae Panhellenic Advisory Council, and Alumni Multicultural Greek & fraternity Council
- Coordinate Fraternity and Sorority Advisory Council meetings
- Coordinate facility maintenance and fire-safety inspections of University-owned properties
- Assist student leaders in financial management of University-owned properties
- Oversee coordination and implementation of major renovations to University-owned properties
- Facilitate building campaigns for private and University-owned houses